Pages

Friday, January 2, 2009

Another Year Older...different mindset.

Well, I turn 29 years old today.  

I'm one year away from cashing in on a bet with my dad.
 
When I was about 7 or 8 years old, my dad, old dog Annie and I were swimming in the cove at our old lake house. Annie was a gorgeous yellow lab.  She was my personal pillow while watching TV from about age 6 to 18.  But that's another story.

Anyway, my dad and I were swimming, and I made a joke about my dad's "beer belly."  My dad told me that I too would have a beer belly when I was 30.  I said, "nuh uh."  We then made a wager.  The bet was whether or not I would have a beer belly on my 30th birthday.  The amount of the wager was $100 (I was counting on inflation.)

Now, the details of this bet were a bit sketchy.  We have no set definition of what constitutes a "beer belly."  But, I guess its like that one supreme court justice said.  "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it."

My next 365 days will be focused on making sure I cash in on that bet.  My dad claims no knowledge of the wager.  However, my mom was tanning on the dock at the time and she says that she remembers the discussion.  So I've got that going for me.

So, my goal for this year is to get down below 10% body fat by May 1, and stay there for the rest of the year.

Take care friends, keep pushing play.

And remember, "Hope is not an action plan!"

John

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday John! Older but wiser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!! I am so trying to figure out a way to cash in on my New Years resolutions. How clever...I am impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete